Saturday, February 6, 2016

Chrysler 3.6L Pentastar V6 Oil Filter Replacement

Last weekend, when I went to perform an oil change on my 2014 Wrangler, I could not figure out where the oil filter was!  After consulting the interwebs, I was delighted to discover that the 3.6L V6 has a replaceable element oil filter, much like the 2.4L I4 in my 2010 Corolla.


Chrysler 3.6L Pentastar V6 Oil Filter Location

The benefits to this design are readily apparent:

  • No steel canister that winds up in a landfill
  • Cheaper and easier to produce, with fewer raw materials
  • Less unused oil gets disposed with the filter
  • Less weight
  • Can offer more filter surface area for less money

Needless to say, I'm a fan of this design.  On the 3.6L Pentastar V6, the oil filter is mounted on the top of the engine, so when it gets removed, the excess oil drains back into the engine and not all over the floor.  Unlike the 2.4L Toyota I4, you don't need a special tool for this one.  I used a 15/16" socket and a 1/2" drive ratchet.

A WIX filter is available from Amazon for under ten bucks.  (I got mine from my very capable local parts store and I paid only slightly more than this.)

I already had some experience with this type of filter, but I figured it is likely others haven't, so I made a short YouTube video documenting the replacement process:




No comments:

Post a Comment